Running an event can be stressful…especially if you’ve never done it before. Depending on the size of the event, there could be hundreds of details to keep track of…which is a daunting task in itself.
So, how can you make sure that your event runs smoothly from prep to finish? Read on for 5 tips for running a successful event.
- Make a solid plan – Before you even start to plan or market your event, it’s important that you make a plan. Your plan should consist of budgets, goals, objectives, audience you will be marketing to, timeline of your event, where your event will take place, what your event will entail, etc. The key is to get as specific as possible. Try to write your plan as if you were giving someone who knows nothing about the event everything they would need to know to run it. By having clarity upfront, it eliminates the need to answer questions that will inevitably arise during the execution process. If your event will be an all-day event, it’s important to create a timeline to make sure everything stays on track during the event.
- Build all systems – List out all systems and tools you’ll need to create a successful event. (Psst: Slottable is a great option for scheduling event attendees)! Besides scheduling systems, think about whether you will need a CRM tool, a payment processor, a check in tool (our vote is PlusThis), etc. Once you’ve identified all the systems and tools you need, make sure everything is built and set up so nothing will fall through the cracks.
- Promote the event – Identify how you will want to promote your event. Will you be sending invites to your list? Will you be running ads on social media? Will you be using your organic social channels for promotion? Word of mouth? Referrals? Regardless of how you will be promoting, make sure you identify how and when you will be promoting. Be sure to allow yourself enough time before the event actually happens to gain registrants.
- Coordinate all details – This will be constant work in progress. Make a checklist of all of the details that are needed to execute the event smoothly. It helps to assign dates to each item to help you stay on track.
- Execute and evaluate – On the day of the event, make sure you arrive early to ensure everything is set up the way it needs to be. There may be things that come up during the event itself, but that shouldn’t scare you! Remember…you’ve prepared for this day. Once the event is over, evaluate how the event went. This is crucial to be able to make informed decisions about future events you may run.
Last but not least…have fun! You will be a master at running successful events before you know it.